Rose Bowl Riders was founded in 1944 by a group of horse lovers from the Pasadena area. These early members liked to ride from the Upper Arroyo Seco and past the Devil’s Gate Dam to Brookside Restaurant at the Rose Bowl, hence the name “Rose Bowl Riders.” In addition to trail riding, advocacy and horsemanship, members organized shows held each spring and fall. In the early years before the Club had a physical location, shows were held at the Eagle Rock Stables (now the 134 freeway), Arroyo Seco Stables, Oak Grove Stable’s Hunter Field (now Hahamongna Watershed Park) and the Flintridge Riding Club. These shows served as fundraisers for our very own riding arena and clubhouse. The shows were widely popular and attended by avid equestrians from all over California.
In 1952, with help from the City of Pasadena, Rose Bowl Riders came into existence in its current location. The clubhouse and main arena were constructed on just over 3 acres within Oak Grove Park, now called Hahamongna Watershed Park. Once the Club had it’s own facilities, shows, rides and parties could be held on-site. Guest stabling was added in 1960 for event participants as the Club’s popularity and shows grew. In 1970, Rose Bowl Riders property increased to 12 acres. This expansion allowed the Club to build barns and tack rooms – going from strictly an event facility to the full-service equestrian center we are today, the only one left in Pasadena. In 1998 the upper barn and lower arena were built to accommodate additional boarding and a lesson program.
Our members continue to use the beautiful Arroyo trails for their breakfast rides to Brookside Park and the main arena and clubhouse for shows. The Club has remained in its same location for over 50 years. We are proud to have more than 325 members, including children, families, and adults, all of whom love horses, the Arroyo Seco, and the great outdoors.